Bible Think Tank

This site is designed to help you interact with others about God's Word. I further some thoughts we developed during morning and evening gatherings at church. I have my NT translations from the original Greek to English. Also, I have book reviews and other current events.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Get Busy Living

One of the most powerful quotes from a great movie, Shawshank Redemption, is when Red was talking to Andy, who was in the dregs of depression. He said "Get busy living, or get busy dying." I think that is an interesting one-liner to reflect on this Patriot's Day, 2009.

It was eight years ago, in the nine o'clock hour of the morning that four planes crashed as this nation was attacked by Islamic extremist terrorists. In result, over 3,000 American civilians were murdered and our nation declared war on terror.

My parents never forgot where they were when JFK was shot back in the 1960's. I doubt we will never forget where we were on 9/11/2001. I was a Senior at Philadelphia Biblical University and was sitting in Church Planting class. One student walked in late and announced that a plane had crashed in NYC, but none of us took it as seriously as we would later that day. As news spread of the extent of the attacks, we moved from shrugging it off to shock and emptiness. Many of us moved from shock to anger in the days to come. As I graduated from college, I got more interested in news and politics and national security. I began listening to talk radio. Eight years have passed and I have come to the realization that its all vanity and chasing after wind.

I have been called by Jesus Himself to serve His Church and to bear His Name to the world. To spend time in any other pursuit is a waste of the time God has granted me. It all started while I was in church planting class... the pursuit of nurturing a community of faith and seeing the Spirit bless a redeemed group of people. I've spent too long being side-tracked with private interests. Too long on politics and the give-and-take in Washington. Let's face it: Washington will change lives, but it will never change hearts. It will change our circumstances, but will not breath life into that which is spiritually dead. The war on terror-tactics needs to be fought and perhaps it is a genuine calling-by-God for some. But I have recently realized that calling and the daily attention I have given to it is not what God has called me to.

So I rededicate myself today to the pursuit of my calling: to water, to plant, to nurture in God's vineyard... to share His grace in a dark world... to equip and serve His people, the Church. I'm going to get busy living! Today is the first new day of a full life of ministry and service.

To God be the glory!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home