Bible Think Tank

This site is designed to help you interact with others about God's Word. I further some thoughts we developed during morning and evening gatherings at church. I have my NT translations from the original Greek to English. Also, I have book reviews and other current events.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Church Makes Life Too Busy?

I love maintaining my church website! Before I got my calling to the ministry, I was going to go into computers. So I still have a passion for all things techy. All that to say, I am a veracious consumer of other church content on the web. I see what others are doing to get ideas for our site. When I read about all the activities other churches are doing and then I look at my church calendar, I think to myself: "we aren't really doing very much." It bums me out that we could be doing more for the Lord and we aren't.

But I came across this statement from the President of my grad school in one of his missional journals. David Dunbar says "Over-programmed churches have turned their best people into the Christian equivalent of stressed-out soccer moms." You know the old analogy of the chicken running around with it's head cut off. I'm not so sure Jesus had it in His mind to keep us so busy at church that we wouldn't live in and among hell-bound sinners in need of the same grace God gave to us.

Hmm. So I asked my wife about. She says that she feels that way from time to time when she is juggling house work, kids, and church ministry. It's my job, so I never really feel that way.

But I wonder how you feel. Do you ever feel that church functions and ministry bog you down rather than lift you up? I think if we could do less at church it would free us to BE the church to our lost neighbors. Weigh in, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes church may feel busy but I think a church should have activities that people can get plugged into that will grow their faith, allow them to fellowship with _other believers_, and to keep them from being idle. I'm sorry but I disagree that we should have free time to be in the world with hell-bound sinners or at least by ourselves. We are called to evangelize the lost not be buddy buddy with them. We are supposed to avoid temptations not put ourselves in situations were we could stumble. Why couldnt a church have activities that teach how to evangelize or actual go out to the surrounding area, malls, etc to witness as small groups?

An example that I think applies here is I like the fact that our church has evening service because it prevents us as a family from thinking churches is just something you cross of the list on a sunday and reminds us that sunday is a different day. All day. I would love to have more actives on sunday to prevent idleness/worldliness from taking over.

my 2cents ok maybe 3 :)

8/22/2007 6:08 PM  
Blogger Holly S. said...

I think we have plenty of regular weekly activities at our church. I can relate to your wife's comment about juggling mutliple things. I do think we should outreach more in our community.

cool blog, btw.

8/23/2007 4:15 PM  
Blogger Timothy Schmoyer said...

thanks guys for your comments on this issue.

Whether or not our church's calendar is to ofull or not full enough, I think we need to keep in mind the reality in the "ideal" church. i call it ideal cuz everyone wants to be busy. "if we are busy, then we must be really doin stuff for Jesus!"

But business will leave a bad taste in the mouthes of our disciples and "Seekers."

Dunbar's comment stands in my mind as I seek to make our church filled with ministries.

8/31/2007 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home