Bible Think Tank

This site is designed to help you interact with others about God's Word. I further some thoughts we developed during morning and evening gatherings at church. I have my NT translations from the original Greek to English. Also, I have book reviews and other current events.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hell No!


Just checked out the Brian McLaren book, The Last Word and the Word After That. The basic premise of the work is that there is no hell. At least no place of eternal conscious torment. Why does Brian feel this way? Because his daughter is sad that her unsaved friends will go there. Is this how Christians should form their beliefs? Maybe it IS how they do, but I do not think it is how they SHOULD. Let us entertain a few foundational principles when we form our systems of belief:

  • We ask 'What does it say' not 'how do I feel'
  • When I don't like what its says, what has caused my feelings to be different than God's?
  • Does the Church's belief match up with the Bible
  • If the idea I am entertaining does not match up with my study of the Word, which will I discard? No pretending or fudging.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky L said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/18/2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger Becky L said...

[i deleted the above comment b/c i decided i wanted to change what i said...]

thanks for the wikipedia link. i LOVE wikipedia!! there are some interesting links given there.

As soon as i see colby tomorrow at church, i'm going to corner him and tell him that we need to stop using McLaren's book in bible study.

thanks for your help in this. i was glad to find that i'm not the only one who is a bit troubled with what the guy writes.

11/18/2006 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home