Bible Think Tank

This site is designed to help you interact with others about God's Word. I further some thoughts we developed during morning and evening gatherings at church. I have my NT translations from the original Greek to English. Also, I have book reviews and other current events.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

BFC and the Ministry of the Word

Intro

So I thought I'd try a vlog for once. Is that what it is called?... a video log, a vlog? Anyway, I want us to think about sermons, the pulpit, the ministry of the Word, and the BFC. A while ago, one of our pastors (It might have been our conference pastor) said while visiting other BFC churches, he'd noticed that few had a Scripture reading as part of the worship gathering. At Camden, we do. But a lot of isolated events recently reminded me of that email and it got me thinking about the effectiveness of the pulpit ministry in our Church.


Mark and John (no, not the disciples)


Mark Driscoll talking about The State of the Pulpit



John Piper talking about the Ministry of the Word



My Thoughts on Expository Preaching

So this is my brief manifesto on why I preach expository. I answer with a question: why did God write the Bible? He wanted our lives to change and be made whole. If God can part an ocean so that His people can walk on dry ground... if God can feed 5,000 men along with countless women and children with only two loaves of bread and two fish... if God really does have the power to change my heart, then He would do it in the way He sees fit. They way He chose was His Word.


Let's Compare Topical and Expository Styles



  • In Topical preaching, the pastor tells you his formulas for shaping up.

  • In Expository preaching, the pastor explains God's formulas listed within His flow-of-thought.


  • In Topical preaching, the pastor can avoid topics he doesn't want to talk about.

  • In Expository preaching, the pastor is forced to explain what God means on the subject He brings up.


  • In Topical preaching, the pastor shares what he thinks and adds some Scriptures to prove him right.

  • In Expository preaching, the pastor lets God's Word do the thinking.


  • In Topical preaching, the pastor illustrates his own skills at digging.

  • In Expository preaching, the pastor illustrates that anyone can read a book and digest it.


  • In Topical preaching, the Word is viewed as a logic jumble that only a skilled technician can dissect in order to find valuable nuggets.

  • In Expository preaching, the Word is viewed as simple and understandable and accessible.


  • In Topical preaching, the listener has no understanding of why a declaration is made. The listener is expected to accept a statement as undeniable without any more reason than: it is God's Word.

  • In Expository preaching, declarations are just as bold, but because the verse, passage, and book are viewed as one logical unit and they are presented that way, the listener sees why a statement was made along with the logical and rationale behind the statement.



Epistemological Humility

While I appreciate Expository preaching, I accept as true the observation made by Dan Kimball in his book "The Emerging Church." He says: the lover of expository preaching cannot find one example in the Bible of a preaching preaching in an expository manner. This is where epistemological humility comes in. I believe my position is the most God-honoring, Scripture-valuing way to communicate and teach God's Word but I am humble enough to recognize how far I can push my agenda and criticize my "opponent."

You aren't really my opponent if you prefer topical sermons, but on this point we do disagree. I love you and the Lord loves you, but your wrong and I'm right. I hope you hear my sarcasm...

Alright, I'm done. Hopefully I gave you something to think about. Peace out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home