Bible Think Tank

This site is designed to help you interact with others about God's Word. I further some thoughts we developed during morning and evening gatherings at church. I have my NT translations from the original Greek to English. Also, I have book reviews and other current events.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Greek for 9/23/07

This Week's Text

1 Corinthians 13

We will study this text together at Morning Worship on Sunday, September 23, 2007

Introductory Thoughts

I hate when people use this text in a wedding. It isn't about romantic love! It's about the proper attitude for ministry. That's what happens, I guess, when people don't read the Bible as a book. No one ever picks up a chapter of Grisham or a paragraph of Agatha Christie. Alright, enough of that rant... seriously, good stuff here for ministering within and outside the Church using your gift in a loving way. With that introduction, now the text:


The Text

Greek
Translation

12:31b και ετι καθ υπερβολην οδον υμιν δεικνυμι

1 εαν ταις γλωσσαις των ανθρωπων λαλω και των αγγελων αγαπην δε μη εχω γεγονα χαλκος ηχων η κυμβαλον αλαλαζον

2 καν εχω προφητειαν και ειδω τα μυστηρια παντα και πασαν την γνωσιν καν εχω πασαν την πιστιν ωστε ορη
μεθιστανειν αγαπην δε μη εχω ουθεν ειμι

3 καν ψωμισω παντα τα υπαρχοντα μου καν παραδω το σωμα μου ινα καυχησωμαι αγαπην δε μη εχω ουδεν ωφελουμαι

4 η αγαπη μακροθυμει χρηστευεται η αγαπη ου ζηλοι ου περπερευεται ου φυσιουται

5 ουκ ασχημονει ου ζητει τα εαυτης ου παροξυνεται ου λογιζεται το κακον

6 ου χαιρει επι τη αδικια συγχαιρει δε τη αληθεια

7 παντα στεγει παντα πιστευει παντα ελπιζει παντα υπομενει

8 η αγαπη ουδεποτε πιπτει ειτε δε προφητειαι καταργηθησονται ειτε γλωσσαι παυσονται ειτε γνωσις
καταργηθησεται

9 εκ μερους γαρ γινωσκομεν και εκ μερους προφητευομεν

10 οταν δε ελθη το τελειον το εκ μερους καταργηθησεται

11 οτε ημην νηπιος ελαλουν ως νηπιος εφρονουν ως νηπιος ελογιζομην ως νηπιος οτε γεγονα ανηρ κατηργηκα τα του νηπιου

12 βλεπομεν γαρ αρτι δι εσοπτρου εν αινιγματι τοτε δε προσωπον προς προσωπον αρτι γινωσκω εκ μερους τοτε δε επιγνωσομαι καθως και επεγνωσθην

13 νυνι δε μενει πιστις ελπις αγαπη τα τρια ταυτα μειζων δε τουτων η αγαπη


Read on BibleGateway


Research on ZHubert


12:31b And yet I will show you a higher way.

13:1 If i speak with the tongues of mean and of angels but I do not love, I become a clinging ring or a noisy cymbal.

2 And if I have prophecies and I see all mysteries and all knowledge and if I have faith as to move mountains, but I do not have love, I am nothing.

3 Even if I might feed with all my possessions and if I might give over my body to be glorified [burned], but I do not love, I benefit nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind, it is not jealous, it is not boastful, it is not arrogant.

5 It does not act unbecomingly, it does not enumerate wrongs.

6 It does not rejoice concerning evil, but it fully rejoices with the truth.

7 It endures all things, it believes all things, it hopes all things, it perserveres all things.

8 Love never fails. But whether prophecies, they will be ended. Whether tongues, they will cease. Whether knowledge, it will be ended.

9 For in part we know and in part we prophesy.

10 But when the perfect comes, the part will be ended.

11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. At the time I have become a man, I have ended the things of a child.

12 For I see presently through a mirror in obscurity, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will fully know just as I am fully known.

13 But now remain these three things: faith, hope, love. But the greatest of these is love.


Read on BibleGateway

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Holly S. said...

Your sermon was great on this subject. I loved the thing you read at the end too about the mom of the preschooler who wrote her own love chapter. I could completely relate.

9/24/2007 9:09 PM  
Blogger Timothy Schmoyer said...

i'll have to post it. i have tried to find it on their website and no dice. so i don't think they'll care. i'll do it later this week.

10/01/2007 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home